Re: UMAX Astra 1200S seems to hang on all commands

Rod Pike (rodneyp@netway.at)
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 22:38:10 +0100

Sorry if I'm repeating questions, I don't recall seeing the beginning of the
thread.

Is the 2920 terminated?
Make sure you haven't left the ZIP terminator switched on in addition to the UMAX
supplied terminator.

It sounds like you are using the cable that came with the ZIP. What's the other
cable you are using, I'm not familiar with the 2920 does it use a 25 pin D Sub,
a 50 pin Centronics type or a 50 pin High density?

Try simplifying your SCSI cabling. Does it work without the ZIP drive attached
using the shortest cable and the supplied terminator?. If this passes or fails,
try the longer cable. If both work or not try adding the ZIP to the end of the
buss and using the internal termination in the ZIP to terminate the buss. I
think the UMAX supplied terminator is passive, the one in the ZIP is active and
should do a better job.

I have a ZIP and UMAX 1220S as well. I would put the ZIP at the end of the buss
instead of the scanner. I've tried other configurations and "seem" to remember
having problems. I also "think" I had problems with the UMAX supplied cable but
it's been a while and it may have been due to another device causing problems. I
also tend to have alot of cabling/devices in my setup which can be problematic.
You tend to get alot of discontinuities on the bus and different cabling with
different impedances which can degrade the buss. Your setup doesn't sound like
it should be a problem as long as the terminators are working properly which the
above tests may help determine.

I'm currently running 4 internal devices on a 5' ribbon and 3 external devices
with about 8' of cable using an Adaptec 2940 and it's working (allways knock on
wood). The scanner is the first external device on the buss, then the ZIP and
finally an actively terminated hard drive is on the end of the buss.

Hope that helps. Good luck