Re: Opinion about SCSI scanner with FreeBSD

German Jose Gomez Garcia (german@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 00:24:08 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Charles Henri-Pierre wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to buy an SCSI scanner for my home computer. (FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE,
> P2BS mother board (S for SCSI), PII 333Mhz) Two question in the FreeBSD
> mailing list show that they are some problems with cheap (broken) SCSI
> interface.

I had bought and AGFA Snapscan 1236 SCSI, and it was my worst
nightmare. I own a Supermicro P6DBU (dual PII + U2W SCSI) and I was not
able to make it work using my own controller. The problems started
because the scanner does not support Sync SCSI, and although I had always
thought that SCSI setup itself in a per-device basis it only work if I
disable sync mode in every other device on the same bus.

Anyway even disabling it the scanner was too broken to work, lots
of timeouts and SCSI resets got me to give it back, fortunately they
return me my money. So my advice is that if you really need a scanner you
should consider spending those extra dollars on a reliable one, I spent
almost three days (for a total of about twenty hours) trying to make it
works, with no result.

The AGFA Snapscan 1236 is a medium scanner, I mean it is not an
HP 6xxx but it is better than a $50 parport one.

If you finally get a cheap one (~ $200) that works with an
onboard Adaptec SCSI controller (and it is supported under Linux/FreeBSD,
of course) please tell me about it.

- german

One O.S. to rule them all, | German Gomez Garcia
One O.S. to find them. | german@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es
One O.S. to bring them all |
and in the darkness bind them. | "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"