Re: Getting a Phantom scanner to work (through Adaptec AVA-1502A)

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:17:59 +0100

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 05:17:39PM +0100, Carl-Johan Sveningsson wrote:
> Hello again, thanks for the reply.
>
> > It is normal that the vendor string for Microtek scanners consists
> > of eight spaces. However, normally the model is specified more
> > exact, for instance 'Scanner 636A4'. If it is a model which should be
> > supported by the microtek2 backend, it won't work at all until this
> > model is known to the backend. Thus it would be interesting what
> > '[something]' is.
>
> Yeah, I think I understood that getting _some_ more support through sg
> would be important.
> I used the 2.2.13 sg.c, so now I'm compiling a kernel with the 2.3.25 sg.c
> copied into the tree. Maybe it works better.
>
> Another thing, the scsi-adapter-driver (aha152x.o), what should I alias it
> to in /etc/conf.modules? Off topic, but I need to find out...
>
> Should sg.o be aliased to something?

I am using the following two lines:

post-install sg modprobe aha152x
options aha152x aha152x=0x140,10,7,1,1

This will automatically load the needed modules, when the scanner
is used for the first time.

> > The backend does some checks on the inquiry information, and refuses
> > to work if it finds information, that it doesn't expect. For instance
> > the models it supports are all SCSI-2 devices, and therefore
> > it checks for an ANSI SCSI revision of 02.
>
> Ummm...I think I only have scsi1 or something...hope that's not a
> problem. I don't know myself why it says 04.
> /proc/scsi/aha152x/0 says $Revision: 1.7 $, if it is relevant...

This is the revision of the driver source code, not the SCSI revision.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder
Email: mailto:bernd@aquila.muc.de