Re: Agfa Snapscan 1236s, AVA1505 SCSI card, Linux kernel 2.2.5

Tim Allen (tim@proximity.com.au)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:18:24 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Tim Allen wrote:

> I'm having a frustrating time getting my new Agfa Snapscan 1236s to work.
> I'm using the AVA1505AE card that came with it. I gather this is not a
> particularly great card, but there are reports that it definitely does
> work. Not for me, so far...
>
> I'll start with the current symptoms. /proc/scsi/scsi shows the following:
>
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
> Vendor: A F Model: S A S A 2 6 Rev: 1 5
> Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Finally got it working! The actual problem was the SCSI card was poorly
seated in the ISA slot. I pulled it out and put it back in, and now it
works. A little embarrassing :). And, curiously, it works without
termination. This frightens me a bit, but as long as it works...

Now SANE recognises my scanner, and I've just scanned my first picture.
Modified rapture!

I plan to put together a how-to or something similar about this, since
I've never seen all the info I needed in the one place anywhere. Is there
somewhere to put docs like this? I notice the snapscan backend page is
mainly devoted to the release status of the software - any plans to host
docs there as well?

Tim