Re: Typical "which scanner" question.

David Nelson (dnelson@jump.net)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:39:24 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Jorge,

If you consider HP, you *must* verify that the scanner in question
supports HP's SCL (Scanner Control Language). Most of them do. However,
I know for a fact that the 4200 does NOT. I do know that the 4100, 5200,
6200 do. However, most of these models are out of your price range. You
might find an old 4100 (replaced by the 4200).

As for USB, I'm the developer for the USB driver for
scanners...particularly HP scanners. USB support for Linux is still very
alpha but development is going well and would expect to see it appear in
linux-2.4.x series. You can visit http://www.linux-usb.org for details.

Regards,
/\/elson

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Jorge JUAN CHICO wrote:

> Hi all,

> of the last month. If you have a scanner, it is easy to find if it is
> supported or not. The opposite is not so clear: which scanner to buy? I
> read the HP FAQ and couldn't find any recommendations.
>
> I'm buying a scanner this week for personal use and would like to be able
> to use it in my Linux box. This is what I'm looking for:
>
> - low cost: 150$ or so.
> - SANE compatibility, of course.
> - good results for home use.
>
> And some questions:
>
> - I've seen a new HP Scanjet 3200C at 110$. Is it suported?
> - Is SCSI always preferable to PP? Any printer conflicts when using PP?
> - Is the SCSI interface which comes with some HP Scanners supported?
> - Will USB be supported soon?
> - Is USB a good option thinking in the future?
>
> Any particular working setup you know is wellcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jorge.

David /\/elson
http://www.jump.net/~dnelson

  "Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things."
                                         -- The 7 Habits Book