Re: USB Scanner w/ linux2.3.x

David Nelson (dnelson@jump.net)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:56:05 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Florian,

I'm the developer the USB scanner driver for linux. Appropriate models to
choose from are 4100, 5200, 6200 and quite possibly the 6300 (I'm still
waiting on feedback). Scanner driver support appeared in kernel
linux-2.3.17 and later.

I'm currently in contact with the deveopers of the hp backend to resolve
some startup issues. But when SANE does startup, it works like a champ!!

Please keep in mind that USB support for Linux is still in ALPHA but the
development is coming along quite well.

/\/elson

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Florian Hinzmann wrote:

> Hi!
>

> I want to buy a scanner within the next weeks. One model
> I might choose is the "HP ScanJet 4100C USB".
>
> It would be OK for me to bye it, use it with Win9x
> if I know that scanner will work with SANE some day.
>

> The FAQ says: "Support for USB scanners in the future will depend on
> the general USB support by the operating
> system. Also, it will depend - as for SCSI or PARALLEL scanners - on
> the manufacturers willing
> to give the specs on request. "
>
> Linux v2.3.x has USB support. Is someone already working on
> USB-Support for SANE? Does someone intend to?
>

> TIA for any information!
>
> Thanks,
> Florian
>

> ---
> Florian Hinzmann f.hinzmann@public.uni-hamburg.de
> fh@dipa.de, fh@debian.org
> NEW PGP-Key fingerprint: DD 61 74 34 04 FB 8A BD 43 54 83 38 0C 82 EF B1

David /\/elson

"Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things." -- The 7 Habits Book