Re: what scanner is supported better by current sane

Nikolay N. Igotti (inn@sparc.spb.su)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:19:37 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Daniel James wrote:

> > I should buy SCSI scanner and cheap SCSI card. I need
> > midrange scanner for about $120-$160.
>
> That depends on your experience, and what you want to use the
> scanner for. I'm much happier with a tier 1 Red Hat supported
> SCSI card (an Adaptec 29xx) than I was with my old unsupported
> card - autodetected first time.
I have enough experience with SCSI cards to set it up, but not enough to
write a driver myself :).
Seriously, I need good home scanner for various reasons. Not professional,
but good enough.

> As for the scanner, take a natural-looking photo of a person and
> scan it on a cheap 'n nasty scanner. Then scan it on the best one
> you can find, and compare results. It's no good buying a cheap
> scanner if you then spend ages correcting the colour on each
> picture, and there's only so much you can do to make a good
> image out of a bad scan.
You are quite right, but now I'm interesting not in the best scanner in
the world, but in scanner supported by sane very well. No more.

Thank for your responce.

Nikolay.