Re: Scanner help

Mike Bhola (mikeb@basaix.uk.ibm.com)
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:19:23 +0100

John Garrison wrote:

> I did a modprobe dtc and got a device or resource busy. I haven't used
> the card for a while but it worked fine when last used, should I assume
> my scanner is broken? (As I said it doesn't work in windows either)
> Maybe I'll have to get another SCSI card?

I have a DTC3181E which I am using with a Mustek 600IICD. I get exactly
the same message when trying to use the dtc module.

I am not convinced that this driver is for that card. However, the
g_NCR5380 appears to have support for this card (not in the README but
if you look at the source code...) You need to supply the correct
parameters to get it working. I'm at work now so I can't remember them
exactly. Something like:

dtc3181e=1 ncr_addr=0x2c0

After that, everything worked perfectly for me. Hope this helps...

> Dan Kegel wrote:
> >
> > John Garrison wrote:
> > > Can anybody tell me where to get the scsi drivers/module for linux? I
> > > don't have scsi support built in I don't think. At least I hope not
> > > cause when I boot up it says scsi hosts: 0 detected.
> > > ... Anyway it is a DTC SCSI card
> >
> > I just went thru this for Red Hat 6.
> > Interactively, you can just do
> > su
> > /sbin/modprobe dtc
> > I think, and that should turn on scsi support. You can see the
> > available modules in /lib/modules/*/scsi.
> >
> > To do this automatically after boot, add the following to
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:
> > # load scsi
> > if [ -n "$USEMODULES" ]; then
> > if grep -s -q "^alias scsi" /etc/conf.modules ; then
> > action "Loading scsi module" modprobe scsi
> > fi
> > fi
> > and add a line to /etc/conf.modules saying what module to load for scsi,
> > e.g.
> > alias scsi dtc
> >
> > Better yet, recompile your kernel to include built-in support for
> > your SCSI card. Then you'll get the "hosts detected" message at boot time.
> > - dan
> >
> > --
> > (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
> >
> > --

Regards, Mike