Re: Scanner help

Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 20:41:40 -0700

John Garrison wrote:
> Can anybody tell me where to get the scsi drivers/module for linux? I
> don't have scsi support built in I don't think. At least I hope not
> cause when I boot up it says scsi hosts: 0 detected.
> ... Anyway it is a DTC SCSI card

I just went thru this for Red Hat 6.
Interactively, you can just do
su
/sbin/modprobe dtc
I think, and that should turn on scsi support. You can see the
available modules in /lib/modules/*/scsi.

To do this automatically after boot, add the following to
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:
# load scsi
if [ -n "$USEMODULES" ]; then
if grep -s -q "^alias scsi" /etc/conf.modules ; then
action "Loading scsi module" modprobe scsi
fi
fi
and add a line to /etc/conf.modules saying what module to load for scsi,
e.g.
alias scsi dtc

Better yet, recompile your kernel to include built-in support for
your SCSI card. Then you'll get the "hosts detected" message at boot time.
- dan

--
(The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)