Re: Newbie Q: Accessing Scanport SQ4800 via SANE

Hugo van der Kooij (Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:30:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:

> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> Vendor: N-TEK Model: NuScan II Rev: 1.60
> Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>
> Now, I have no idea how SCSI works on Linux, but I gather than
> one of /dev/sga ... /dev/sgh will correspond to the scanner.
> Don't know which one.

/dev/sga is the first available SCSI device. So if you only have a scanner
then the scanner is /dev/sga and not /dev/sgg as you might think from
counting SCSI ID's.

> /dev/sg? entry and /proc/scsi, and output info about what
> SCSI ID the device corresponds to. I ran that as root on each of
> the /dev/sg? entries, and got
> open() failed: Permission denied
> on /dev/sga, even after chmod 644 /dev/sga, and
> open() failed: Device not configured
> on the others. This doesn't seem right.

Do you have Generic SCSI support at all? It's propably missing in the
kernel or it's a module you didn't load.

Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/