Re: Acer Scanners

Menaka Lashitha Bandara (lashi@alphalink.com.au)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:38:13 +1000

--------------B4ACB02E15B69CAD66F9563A

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Saturday, 21 August 1999 at 13:46:52 +1000, Menaka Lashitha Bandara wrote:
> > I have an Acer 610S scanner, and the only thing stopping me from
> > deleting my windows partition is the scanner. Since Sane doesn't have
> > support for this, I wrote to the people at Acer. They asked me a few
> > questions, which I would rather someone more experienced answered. He
> > also wanted some help if they were to write a driver... so who shall
> > I recommend?
>
> Funny you should mention that. Gary <gmp@superlink.net> has done a
> driver for the 620S, but he did it without any support from Acer, and
> he wasn't very happy with the results, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to
> follow up. At least you have somebody to talk to at Acer :-)
>
> I have a 620U (USB connect), and I'd really like to write a driver for
> it. Is your Acer contact in Australia? If so, I could have a chat
> with him. I'd also be prepared to do the work, especially if they pay
> for it. We should probably follow this up off-line.
>
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Greg. I dont know if they want to pay for it. But I don't think they intend to
release their source code. They are being real pricks. I wrote to them and told
them that Linux is gaining more of the software market, and told them that Umax
etc. have given their specs away.

I think that Acer wants to create and distribute a binary driver. I don't like
that because I'm constnatly changing kernels, and I won't be able to use a
pre-compiled driver. Anyway, here's the message they sent me: