Re: Document Feeders (was Re: Anyone with a Umax Document Feeder?)

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:42:04 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Where is the problem when the backend calls "change page"
> before starting the scan when scan source is set to "ADF" ?
> This does work for all scanners with ADF!
> I see no problem with this, because the idea of the ADF is to put in
> a lot of papers that shall be copied, faxed or archieved, so the user
> selects starts and comes back half an hour later and everything is
> finished.

If this works already, I'm not sure what you want changed in SANE ?

> If you want a user interactive mode, the frontend does not need to
> know anything about that because the user does press the buttons.
> So if the user shall be able to say "next paper" that is not the idea
> of ADF. I suggest to add an other scan source "Manual Document Feeder"
> or something like that. But we do not need any well known options for
> this because the frontend does not do anything automatically!

Mmm. Well, the nice thing about the HP design is that I can write something
to do this, totally automatically, and without behaviour I don't know
about behind the scenes. I'd like this preserved, but it's fine if this
works just when source == MANUAL or whatever.

while (we've got some sheets left) {
load another sheet
quick-preview-scan
auto-select scan area (just call lists) and brightness/ contrast
high-resolution-scan > file
}

> > Also, Oliver: Does the Umax way give you separate scan data for each
> > sheet, or does the user/app have to cut it up post-scan?
>
> You get one image per page!
> You call SANE_START, the scanner loads the page and scans the selected area.
> Second SANE_START produces next image.

Does this mean that the UMAX can really load and unload pages, but you
choose not to export this behaviour from the backend?

Can I do this (below) with the design you have in mind?

1. Put phone bill (35 sheets) into hopper, run Xsane
2. Scan in first sheet, hand-tune brightness and scan area in Preview
3. Do a final scan on that first sheet, check it for problems
4. Tell Xsane "Scan all the remaining sheets with those settings"
5. Go and have coffee

ALSO: Can I do this *without* XSane, in a shell script or OCR program?

Nick.