Re: Document Feeders (was Re: Anyone with a Umax Document Feeder?)

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:56:15 +0200

Nick Lamb wrote:

> Can we reconcile these two approaches into a single mechanism?

Where is the problem when the backend calls "change page"
before starting the scan when scan source is set to "ADF" ?
This does work for all scanners with ADF!
I see no problem with this, because the idea of the ADF is to put in
a lot of papers that shall be copied, faxed or archieved, so the user
selects starts and comes back half an hour later and everything is
finished.

If you want a user interactive mode, the frontend does not need to
know anything about that because the user does press the buttons.
So if the user shall be able to say "next paper" that is not the idea
of ADF. I suggest to add an other scan source "Manual Document Feeder"
or something like that. But we do not need any well known options for
this because the frontend does not do anything automatically!

> Also, Oliver: Does the Umax way give you separate scan data for each
> sheet, or does the user/app have to cut it up post-scan?

You get one image per page!
You call SANE_START, the scanner loads the page and scans the selected area.
Second SANE_START produces next image.

Bye
Oliver

--