Document Feeders (was Re: Anyone with a Umax Document Feeder?)

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:16:02 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Oliver Rauch wrote:

> OK EVERYBODY:
> :s.,$s/mode/source/g ;-)

With this cleared up, and the explanation of ADF behaviour in Oliver's
hardware, I now understand what he's up to.

However, now I'm really not sure how the HP fits in to this. Oliver's
description (presumably correct for *at least* Umax ADF) ...

Paper feed is continuous, scan head remains still while paper is moved
past it. I'm not clear on how you tell where pages end etc. but that
logic is presumably all to be concealed in the backend.

The HP, which I have right here, and have used without specific support
in the past, provides ADF functionality like this...

Paper feed loads/ unloads one sheet at a time, quickly and SIDEWAYS
compared to the A4 flatbed design. The scanning itself proceeds as
usual, and to scan multiple sheets you must do a *complete* scan for
each sheet then send the "load next sheet" SCL command and repeat.

Can we reconcile these two approaches into a single mechanism? Do a
lot of scanners work the way Oliver describes (I've never seen one,
but I've only seen a few dozen scanners with ADF and they were probably
all made by HP)

Also, Oliver: Does the Umax way give you separate scan data for each
sheet, or does the user/app have to cut it up post-scan?

Nick.