Re: Artec AT6 yet again

aanderson = (aanderson3@uswest.net)
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:34:32 -0600 (MDT)

>as per: "Brian B." <ixnay@wws.net>
>
>Thus spake Wolfgang Goeller (wgoeller@active.ch):
>
>> "Brian B." wrote:
>>
>> If you did follow the latest discussions in this group:
>> There seems to be a problem with your Adaptec-card and
>> Kernels >2.2.5 - hope this helps.
>> See message from aanderson dated July 2nd
>>

>I checked out that thread and it seemed alot like my problem except he seems to
>have 1520b i have a 1520a. I doubt this makes a diference though and he had
>lock ups for a few seconds I tried to let it go to see if it came back but in
>the morning when I woke up it was still hung (6 hours later). I will compile
>and try 2.2.4 (I forget wasnt there a security bug in that kernel?)
>
>Ill let ya know
>
>Also to anderson if you read this. Does the system hang with disk access?

I just tried some large file copies while scanning. Other than the thrashing
from the long periods where the scanner was precluding smooth swapping, everything
seemed to work fine.

Of course, all the disks are IDE, and there is only the scanner on the SCSI.

There seems to be no damage to the system at this time. The copies did
seem to allow xtop to recover from the scan and go back to reporting 99%
idle even while the xscanimage was still resident.

I used to get system crashes whenever I tried ANY interrupt while scanning, which
is why I worked up to 2.2.10... so I think that is definitely worth trying.

BTW, does anyone know the difference between 1520A and 1520B?

Thanx,

From Al Anderson