Re: Umax 1200S on LinuxPPC R5

Simon Piette (spiette@generation.net)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:24:53 -0400

Oliver Rauch wrote:

> I don`t know if SANE is tested on a big endian machine.
> May be there are problems too. I am not sure if the umax
> backend is tested on a big endian machine.
> But if the inquiry command returns with an error
> the problem is in the sanei/scsi or in the sg or scsi driver.

This is what I am thinking. This is not the first time we (linuxppc
users) have
that kind of problem with little/big endian (eg. sound). I'll check with
the
Linux PowerPC team ...

> > Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
> looks like you have the scanner on a secondary scsi controller.
> Did you test it if you connect the scanner to the first scsi controller?

No, because my scsi0 is internal-only, and it got already four devices
on it ...

> Which controllers do you use?

scsi0 : MESH
scsi1 : 53C94

It's a UMAX J700 (similar to a 8500/8600, in case you care).

> How is the scsi bus terminated and how long are the scsi cables (internal +
> external).

I've tried with only the scanner attached to it ( 2'), no internal.
Also, it work without a hitch within MacOS.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll keep you in touch.

Simon