Re: Astra 1220S problems

Lorenzo M. Catucci (lorenzo@argon.roma2.infn.it)
Thu, 20 May 1999 17:35:09 +0200

Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Andreas Dilger wrote:
>
> > Mark Vojkovich <mvojkovi@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> > > I have an UMAX Astra 1220S and have tried it with the
> > > sane 0.71, 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 packages. It works, sortof.
> > > The images it scans are badly sheared.
> >
> > This was a problem with 0.7x because of the way that the number of
> > pixels/row was calculated - it didn't always match the data being
> > sent from the scanner. However, I haven't seen this problem in a
> > while. Are you sure you are using the most recent Umax backend?
> > Maybe you still have an old version around?
> >

> That problem never happend in the preview with any sane-version.
>
> The problem is still there, but I think it does not occur very often.
> I asked UMAX how to handle this and the one I asked tries to find
> out about that.

As a matter of fact, I have never had shear problems with either xsane
or xscanimage. Instead, I have had shear problems myself when I first
tried usin PIL's[*] sanemodule. FWIR, I solved the problem by changeing
the end of scanline logic, since AMK thought any scanner would jump to
the next line after 3*pixels were read. If you need it, ask me, and I'll
send you my patched version of the file, since, as of now, Andrew has
not still axcepted and merged my changes into his module.

Yours,
lorenzo

[*] Python Imaging Library