Re: PhotoSmart problem

Russ Price (rjprice@ais.net)
Wed, 19 May 1999 06:28:41 -0500

Chris Bitmead wrote:

> I'm using a Photosmart scanner, and when xsane starts up it says there
> are 4 scanners to choose from (/dev/sgb /dev/sgc /dev/sgd /dev/sgd I
> think). /dev/sgb doesn't work. /dev/sgc does work. Not sure about the
> other two.
>
> What's the story there with 4 choices?

I don't know about that one - are you sure the SCSI card is properly set
up?

> Also, the SCSI cards that come with the scanner - Symbios brand
> apparently - anybody had any luck getting them to work with Linux? I
> tried a long time ago with an older card without any luck, was wondering
> if anybody had tried recently with any success.

Speaking of which, there's a driver for this card that you may have to add
to the kernel. I don't have the URL handy, though. Instead, I just attached
it to my existing SCSI chain with an Adaptec AHA-2940AU card. Worked like a
charm. On my box, it came up as /dev/sgc.

SCSI ID 0: /dev/sga - a hard drive
SCSI ID 1: /dev/sgb - a removable hard drive
SCSI ID 2: /dev/sgc - the PhotoSmart
SCSI ID 6: /dev/sgd - a CD-R drive

That being said, using SANE, I get the best performance when scanning
prints - though there's a new front-end being developed which should
improve that situation. Generally, though, I still use the Windoze software
for scanning slides. Has anyone tried it under WINE?

--
Russ Price - rjprice@ais.net - "Bus error (passengers dumped)"