Re: SANE on MacOS, MacOS X ?

Rick Frank (rfrank@dominionsw.com)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:22:06 -0400

I wasn't thinking so much a "port", but rather, support for the API, middle
ware, so to speak, so that the applications don't need to know details. The
lowest level backend code would not be the same, of course.

Rick

On 4/26/99 at 4:33 PM, a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de (abel deuring) wrote:

> Rick Frank wrote:
>
> > I was wondering how you folks would react to some of us bringing SANE over
> > the MacOS? The APIs would be as close as possible, the low level code
would
> of
> > course be different in the current MacOS .
> >
> > I confess to not knowing that much about MacOS X, and MacOS X Server. But as
> > they are going to be somewhat unix based, perhaps the efforts in this area
> > would have good forward migration possibilities for the future.
>
> To get Sane software for Macs would be great. But porting all the
> backends
> to MacOS versions 8.x (or older) might be quite a big task. Especially,
> some
> backends fork an additional process which reads the data from the
> scanner and
> delivers this data to the parent process. I don't know much about the
> internals
> of MacOS, but I guess that this kind of multitasking would be quite
> difficult
> to implement. Since MaxOS X is now available at least as the server
> version,
> and the workstation version will probably also be released in near
> future, I
> think that it would be not worth to put too much effort into porting the
> backends to MaxOS 8.x.
>
> On the other hand, having a frontend for the older MacOS versions, would
> be
> really useful (well, yes, only if the Mac is connected to a LAN where a
> Sane
> server is running, but that would probably be useful in many situations)
>
> Abel

Dominion Software, Inc.
825 Beacon Street (617) 332-1144 voice
Newton, MA 02459 (617) 332-5145 fax