Re: SANE snapscan backend & agfa 1236

Kick Glorie (silicon@multiweb.nl)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:33:37 +0200

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> > I found out that you have written te patches for 1236 support in the
> > SANE snapscan backend. I was actually waiting for support for this
> > scanner since I have one, and want to use it under a real OS. Now as
> > soon as I noticed that with SANE 1.0.1 there was support for the
> > 1236 I tried it.
>
> Sounds good. You should of course have tried it earlier, maybe your
> problems would have been fixed for 1.0.1. :-)

Yes I guess I shoud have :-) unfortunately I wasn't following the
sane-devel mailing list, so I didn't know anybody was creating
patches.... :-)

> > The driver recognizes the scanner perfectly, but all tests fail
> > (scanimage -T) and scanning is impossible.
>
> Do not run 'scanimage -T'. It fails, and leaves the SCSI driver and
> the scanner in a funny state. You have to turn the scanner off and
> on, and reload the scsi driver.
>
> > The driver does seem to send something to the scanner, since its led
> > starts flashing as soon as a preview, or a scan is attempted.
> > Are there any people who have actually made scans with this backend?
> > If so, what am I doing wrong?
>
> I managed to get it going, so it is possible.
>
> > My configuration: Linux 2.2.6ac1
> > Initio INI9200UW SCSI controller(dual channel)
> > (scanner is the only device on the A channel)
> > SANE 1.0.1 (final)
>
> You have a newer kernel then I tested with, and a different SCSI
> controler, but none of that should make the scanning fail.
>
> Try starting with a freshly rebooted machine (or reloaded scsi driver)
> and scanner, and see if the problem is still there.
>
> To get debug info, use 'SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=128 scanimage -L'.

I tried it, and it does do some more things when SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=128
is set (when I'm lucky, the scanner actually seems to start scanning,
but stops after just a few seconds), but I still couldn't scan. When I
use scanimage --preview, it simply segfaults. I am now beginning to
wonder whether my SCSI bus termination is ok...it all works fine with
fotolook under NT, so up till now I just assumed it was ok. The manual
that came with the 1236 says nothing about termination, so if you know
if the 1236 has got internal termination, let me know.

> We should take this discussion on the list, sane-devel@mostang.com, to
> let others share their knowledge on the subject.

Let's do that :-)

> --
> ##> Petter Reinholdtsen <## | pere@td.org.uit.no

Kick Glorie