Re: Sane config thoughts

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 17:17:04 +0200

John Stoffel wrote:

> It's not so much the disk space, but the feeling that we shouldn't
> bother to build backends that the user doesn't even have. And as much
> as we think it true, disk space isn't infinite.
>
> Oliver> If that is too much, feel free to remove the backend-libraries
> Oliver> you don`t need
>
> That's what I currently do now, but I was wondering if others felt the
> same way and if I should bother to make a patch for this behavior.

Hi John,

I think it is ok to compile and install all backends. The may be 6MB
harddiskspace
do not hurt - if they do the machine is not the right one for a scanner!

The "normal" user does use a binary and that has to come with all backends
- or do you like to create dozens of sane-binaries -- for each scanner or
backend one?

If we have different versions for different scanners I am sure I will get
thousends of
questions why the scanner xyz does not work although sane sais it is supported.

If someone likes to remove the libs thats ok, but sane should come with all
backends!

Bye
Oliver

--