Re: microtek scanmaker again :-(

De Clarke (de@ucolick.org)
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 00:16:55 -0800 (PST)

Nick Lamb wrote:

> No PNP? If this SCSI card is actually a PCI device then you can discover
> everything Linux knows about it from /proc/pci (or wherever it is in 2.2)
> If the device is an ISA PNP device, the isapnp tools should be available
> in your distribution or friendly FTP mirror. ISA PNP devices are "asleep"
> on boot and won't respond to a driver until isapnp wakes them up.

Excuse my Intel hardware idiocy, but, umm, how do you mean "if
the card is actually a PCI device"? There are two kinds of
slots on my motherboard, PCI and ISA, and they don't look
the same :-) This card definitely fits in a PCI slot.

Also the literature says the card is a PCI scsi adapter.
Is it possible for it "secretly" to be ISA? What would that
mean? Boy, am I confused!

and what is /proc/pci supposed to do for me? Doesn't look
too useful :-)

[root@musashi scsi]# file /proc/pci
/proc/pci: empty

How I long for the day when we will just be able to plug
peripherals into our linux crates and use them... like the
PCMCIA driver facility for laptops, now that is nice to use...
no configuration, no mystery, no hassles, you plug in the little
cards and they work ...

> Yes, attaching new devices to an existing card is a simpler course of
> action, but it means incurring an additional cost (cable price)

It would be nice if I could get the card working because it
will take a couple of days to get a cable and I am eager to
try out SANE...

de

:De Clarke, Software Engineer                     UCO/Lick Observatory, UCSC:
:Mail: de@ucolick.org | There are only two kinds of computer languages: the :
:Web: www.ucolick.org | ones people hate, and the ones people don't use.--JO: