Re: microtek scanmaker again :-(

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 09:00:02 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, De Clarke wrote:

> Linux does not even detect the card (no PnP) on the way up.
> I will try loading an adaptec 152x module but have little
> confidence... hmm, interesting error message...

No PNP? If this SCSI card is actually a PCI device then you can discover
everything Linux knows about it from /proc/pci (or wherever it is in 2.2)
If the device is an ISA PNP device, the isapnp tools should be available
in your distribution or friendly FTP mirror. ISA PNP devices are "asleep"
on boot and won't respond to a driver until isapnp wakes them up.

The worst case is that your card is ISA, but not PNP. In this case even
if there is a Linux driver, you have to discover the IRQ/ port numbers
yourself :( but probably if this were true, even for Windows rubbish, it
would have a bunch of jumpers...

> I do have a Tekram scsi adapter with its own BIOS that "just
> works" with no problems. Maybe I should get an adapter cable
> and hang the scanner on this card which I know works? It has
> a mini 50pin instead of the mac-style 25pin, but I believe
> both cards are fast (not wide) scsi2. I'll try linux-scsi
> list for clues about the AVA card, but putting it on a known
> working card seems like the easiest course. Comments?

Yes, attaching new devices to an existing card is a simpler course of
action, but it means incurring an additional cost (cable price)

So, if you're happy to do that it is probably quickest. How much is
your time worth? :)

Nick.