Re: Mustek 600 III EP

Jeff DeFouw (mrj@i2k.com)
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:10:59 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Jon Price wrote:

> I shall preface this by saying that I haven't as yet downloaded the
> driver for the Mustek 600 II. Ishall do that immediately following this
> e-pistle. It is barely possible that the clever Tiwanese used the same
> command strructure for the II and III versions. The III actually uses

Don't bother with the driver, it isn't compatible.

> turning the light on in the scanner, there must be some info, somewhere
> on the 600 III command structure.
> I have yet to locate (12 phone calls) the source of this info within
> Mustek USA. Indeed, the word seems to be that the information doesn't
> exist in Mustek USA. Since you have created drivers for the Mustek
> SCSI's, there is obviously a breach in the Mustek InfoWall. Would
> appreciate either a.) the info or b.) the extension of the info leak.

They usually give out info for the SCSI command set, but they refuse to
give out anything on the parallel port protocol. Others have tried and
none have succeeded. The only way is by playing with their windows
driver... you can imagine how fun that is.

> I am not, at present, prepared to swear, under penalty of X11 socket
> disconnect, that I will implement a SANE driver for the 600 III - I
> haven't used SANE, yet. I shall, however, tanatively assume that a
> collection of individuals sufficiently intelligent to use LINUX should
> be intelligent enough to create a scanner interface that is actually
> useable (as opposed to the Windows/TWAIN rescource pit).

I am already working on a driver. I've been delayed for a while because
of other projects I got involved in (ugh), but those have quieted down
now. I actually started the driver in the fall of last year... but I got
interrupted... I can turn the lamp on and off for hours of enjoyment, and
throw the scanner into a fit of random movements, but as for functional
uses... Anyway, I plan to work on the driver over my spring break (which
begins today). I should have something that scans at least a raw image,
in at least one dpi mode (I think the data set I'm working with was at 100
dpi... it was so long ago... either that or 600) by the end of next week.
Wish me luck. Originally it will be standalone, and then it will be
integrated with SANE.

> go). Experience has taught avoidance of any/all gooeys (correct
> pronounciation of GUI's). I shall, however give X11 a chance as it
> doesn't seem like it should be too bad to change my C source to try it.
> Even if I just give the task manager a big e-PROZAC and run stand-alone
> I can use gimp to scan to TIFF files, so a SANE driver would be worth
> creating.

SANE has both a command line non-GUI interface and an X interface. It
does not require X.

> Well, as usual, I have run with the v option turned on and this is
> turning into a rambling discourse, so I shall end here. Appreciate
> any/all Mustek 600 III Ep info. Will probably turn same into SANE
> driver.

No info to offer, but how does the nearing availability of a driver sound?

--
Jeff DeFouw <mrj@i2k.com>
I2K Staff - http://www.i2k.com