Re: FCPA

Tripp Lilley (tlilley@perspex.com)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 01:07:15 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, bob gordon wrote:

> How come Fujitsu is not supported? I have a ScanPartner 10C and have been
> trying for months to get it to work under SANE. Are there plans in the works to
> write a driver for it?

I'm going to guess that it's because SANE is a community project, and no
one in the community has yet needed support for Fujitsu scanners :-)

I have the protocol manual for the 3099 series (huge high-speed, duplex
scanner for serious document imaging work) on order, but they inform me
that it won't be heading my way until May. The technicians at Fujitsu said
that all of their scanner line use a similar protocol, so the backend I
initially write for the 3099 will, I hope be the basis for supporting most
of Fujitsu's line.

I'm going to have to tackle the 3097DG Duplex SCSI, as well, which means
that I'll be working with the lower-volume units (Fujitsu calls them
"Departmental" units). Anyway, unless someone else is already working on
Fujitsu drivers, consider it underway (in the sense that I've ordered
docs, but can't start coding until I get them).

If the 10C is reasonably compatible with the core of the 3097/3099, then
it ought to work out of the box. If it's not compatible, or if there are
features in the 10C/15C that aren't covered in the 309x protocol, then
I'll have to convince you to order me a copy of the spec for that scanner,
and order me some pizzas.

--
   Tripp Lilley + Innovative Workflow Engineering, Inc. + (tripp@iweinc.com)
  "Stallman, after all, still has a point: greed, competition, and secrets

--
   Thomas Scoville in http://opensource.oreilly.com/news/scoville_0399.html