Re: High-Performance Scanner for Linux ???

Wolfgang Goeller (wgoeller@active.ch)
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 11:54:20 +0100

Patrick Panke wrote:

> ---Wolfgang Goeller <wgoeller@active.ch> wrote:
> > > But I now have a customer who is looking for a
> > > high-performance scanner to be used with Linux.
> > > It needs a automatic feeder, and should be
> > > able to scan at least 6 pages per minute at 300
> dpi.
> > > It also needs to be good quality and have a long
> > > lifetime. The scanners used now (with Win3.11)
> > > each scanned about 2 million sheets in 2 years.

Hello Patrick

> > Have a look at HP 6250 - this scanner seems to meet
> > your needs. Have a look at the specs and if in doubt
> > consult the author of the latest upgrades.

> Sounds good, but is the HP 6250C running reliable under
> SANE, and does the ADF work with SANE?

I don't know, but as far as I've got it from the latest
sources the 6250C is supported and ADF is supported as
well. The latest hp-driver is: sane-pre1.01.hp.0.82.tar.gz
You can get it from http://www.kirchgessner.net.
More I can't tell you since I can't afford this scanner :-((
But on the other hand you should be rather sure that it
works since HP uses the same command-set for all its scanners
they did'nt change their protocol. They added only additional
commands and options. I once owned a HP IIIp that was
official unsupported by pbmscan - I only had to change the
ID in the sources and it did work without problems.

For more information you should contact the author of the
driver, but please have a look at the driver and the
Webpage before asking. Most questions are answered by this.

Regards
Wolfgang