Re: Logitech Scanners

Frank Becker (fbecker@nortelnetworks.com)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:25:11 -0800

Hi,

David_Wegmuller@logitech.com wrote:

> Hi,
> As you can see from my address, I work for Logitech. I recently heard that
> some people on this list would like to get some more information about the
> various scanners made by Logitech. As an engineer involved with the
> development of these products and as a Linux user I would be happy to help.

That would be great! I just finished a driver for my scanman model, and
wouldn't mind extending the driver to properly support other models.
Some
docs/specs or code (gasp!) would make that a bit easier.

> BUT, Logitech has always been very protective with its devices
> specifications (believe it or not, there are some fake Logitech products
> out there: everything is copied perfectly including boxes, CDs etc...).

Hopefully the lost revenue in that area would be offset by being able to
sell
more (Logitech) products to the Linux community.

> In the case of the scanners, things are more complicated: in december 1997,
> Logitech sold its scanner line to Storm Technologies. The problem with
> Storm is that they recently went out of business... I do not know what is

I read about that, but wasn't sure what to make of it.

> supposed to happen next, I will try to get some info from our legal
> department and I'll keep you posted.

If you could do that, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

> Sorry for the bad news... But there's hope!

That's good to hear :)

Thanx,
Frank.