Re: UMAX Astra 1200S lamp question

Jeff Evarts (jdeassoc@earthlink.net)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:35:17 -0500

Zygo Blaxell wrote:

> I've recently acquired a UMAX Astra 1200S.

Me too.

> When I connected power (and nothing else) to the scanner, the imaging
> lamp came on. When I connected the SCSI cable, the lamp stayed on.
> I've tried SCSI bus resets, scanning images, setting every available
> option in xscanimage and scanimage, and never has the lamp been off.
> The lamp is still shining under the scanner cover to this day.

Yep, for me too.

> Is this normal? Are the Windows drivers able to turn the lamp off?
> Is the hardware incapable of turning the lamp off? Is it some kind of
> funky solid-state lamp with a 100K-hour lifetime?

We can hope. I generally leave the power off except: during
boot time, when the BIOS and OS are looking for the scanner,
and when I'm using it.

Well, I can't say it's "normal" or "intended", but I can say
that mine and yours are acting the same way.

Now, if I could only get SANE to FIND the darn thing. (I have
been less lucky than you in getting SANE to work)

-Jeff

--
-Jeff Evarts
--jdeassoc@earthlink.net