Re: Frontend XSane-0.06 available

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:34:56 +0100

Milon Firikis wrote:

> Some minor problems
>
> 1) Whenever I run it it gives me the main window with an horizontal
> scrollbar. If I try to resize the window it doesn't let me.

Hi know this and don`t like it too, but I will spent my time on other things
first!

> 2) The gamma, contrast, and brightness settings at the main window do
> not have balloon help and I really really need it because I don't which
> is what :-)

Will come!

> 3) In the options (this may be apple specific) I can crash it easily by
> trying to drag the rulers in order to select the scan area. I have had
> this kind of bug with xscanimage also. I tried to debug it but the SEGV
> happens deep in the GTK code and frankly, I don't have a clue about GTK.
> If you are interested in investigating this bug you can do it very
> easily by editing the apple.h file

Must be an apple-backend-problem!

> 4) The responsiveness of the computer was very good during the scan.
> This was not the case with the xscanimage of the sane-075.pre version.
> However the scanner makes noise like
>
> gr..gr..gr..gr..gr..gr
> instead of
> grrrrrrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>
> Note with my scsi host adapter the computer !!!shouldn't!!! so much
> responsive. However the overall scanning speed is not terrible low.
>
> It empties the buffer too fast is my guess. Unless something has changed
> since sane-0.75 in sane-scsi-read you must be using a really small
> buffer. I 'll check with the xscanimage tonight I 'll be back on this
> topic.

The scanroutines of xsane are based on xscanimage. The only thing is
that the gamma-correction is done online if the scanner/backend does not
support it, so if you do not have a very slow computer it should be the same
as with xscanimage!

Thanks for your infos!

Bye
Oliver