Re: abaton 300 GS

David Huggins-Daines (bn711@freenet.carleton.ca)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:09:18 -0500

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 01:19:05PM -0500, Michelle Maynes wrote:
> I thought I'd found the answer when I located your site on the web: here,
> finally is the software we need to run our old Abaton 300 GS scanner from a
> Power PC Mac with System 7! My excitement flagged as I spent some time

Nope, sorry. The drivers on Everex's site do actually work with System 7,
but I don't know if they work on PowerMacs. If you're still using the
original extension that came on the install disk, you should probably try
the newer drivers - they're in the tech-support library on the Everex
website (http://www.everex.com) somewhere, and shouldn't be too hard to
find.

> trying to understand how to get this software, and now I confess I'm lost
> in cyberspace. I'm not a software writer, don't know a thing about Linux
> or LaTex. Am I out of luck here or can you tell me if your SANE software
> is what we need to run our scanner, and if so, how do I download and
> install it?

Unfortunately, no one has ported SANE to the MacOS, and given that the
current MacOS is very unlike Unix, it's not likely to happen (I'm certainly
not going to do it...) Probably, a port to BeOS or MacOS X will be a lot
easier.

So, at the moment, you're out of luck, unless you are willing to install
LinuxPPC (http://www.linuxppc.org) and do your scanning under it... (you
could always set up an old 486 as a scanning server, but it's probably
cheaper just to buy a new scanner ;-)

Cheers

--
5.15:   Is C an acronym?