Re: Mustek III EP scanners

Ken Terrell (terrellk@earthlink.net)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:42:37 +0700

J. Rhett Aultman wrote:

> > I have a Mustek 600 III EP Plus that uses a parallel port and probably
> > operates much the same way as yours. Unfortunately I wasn't able to
> > obtain any protocol specs from Mustek. However, I do have several ways of
> > sniffing the protocol communications and I have been able to make my
> > scanner function using the information. The only major problem I have is
> > with the image data I get from the scanner, the colors and resolution
> > don't look right and I don't know what to do about it. I'm currently
> > working on rewriting my Linux "driver" using the sniffed information from
> > a newer Windows driver that appears to be implemented more cleanly. If
> > you know any more info or you get any information out of Mustek I'd
> > appreciate a copy. For now I'll just continue to slowly hack away at what
> > I have available...
>
> I don't know a lot about drivers, but I'm learning. I haven't weaseled
> any more info out of Mustek (I'm about to kick them all squarely in the
> nuts. They don't even have the decency to tell me to piss off). I was
> thinking about starting to fiddle around with sniffing out the info, but
> don't know how. Care to let me in on this secret? Also, can I have the
> code for your driver? I'd like to see how well it works on mine. Perhaps
> we have a common ground to work here. Maybe between us we can even get a
> generic Mustek parallel scanner.
>
> Thanks.
>
> J. Rhett Aultman (Cuplan)

Same scanner here, I have the 600 IIIep, and I couldn't get it to work using
the canned mustek backend, I was told that it just ^might^ work with a
parrallel port scanner, but I was let down.

Any info you have that can get me up and running in a limited fashion will be
appreciated, and then I can start trying to figure out how to make it better.

P.S.
If there is a driver being developed, I would love get my hands dirty.

Ken