Re: Microtek ScanMaker X6EL supported??

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 23:05:49 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 06:42:04PM -0500, Brian E. Bothwell wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Bernd Schroeder wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 03:02:45PM -0500, Brian E. Bothwell wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Here is the last few lines of output:
> > >
> > > [microtek2] scsi_read_system_status: md=0x80b13e0, fd=-1
> > > [microtek2] dump_area2: readsystemstatus
> > > [readsystemstatus]
> > > 28008100000000000900
> > > [microtek2] dump_area2: readsystemstatusresult
> > > [readsystemstatusresult]
> > > 010000001100000000
> > >

> > > Again, it hangs at the last line (I let it sit for over a minute)
> >
> > After this command (or "test unit ready", if present) the frontend loads
> > and initializes some other backends. Please remove all other backends
> > from the dll.conf file and try it again (and tell us/me what happens).
>
> Tried it. It still hangs. :(

That's bad :( . There are or have been situations, where the backend hangs,
mainly due to SCSI problems, or a bug in the backend, when executing
a SCSI command. However, this does not seem to be such a situation.

Immediately after this "read system status" command, which is successfully
executed (because there is a result), the function sane_get_devices()
returns control to xscanimage, which should then present the available
devices to the user.

I will have to think about this and will contact you directly (probably
the next weekend) to make some suggestions how to proceed further.

One thing you could try is to call xscanimage directly with

xscanimage microtek2:/dev/sgd (this was the device, IIRC)

I think, that the frontend then skips the whole sane_get_devices()
function, that causes the hang.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder