Re: UMAX 610P and (in)SANE

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:06:58 +0200

Roy-Anders Larsen wrote:

> Just wondering if there is any news on the UMAX 610P (parallel port
> scanner) and SANE. I've searched around the net for any information
> about a backend for it.
> Of course on the 'official' SANE web pages, it is stated that there is
> no support for UMAX parallel port scanners. Then I find some messages
> that some people are trying to make a backend themselves.
> Then I find some messages (www.dejanews.com) that some people state
> that the UMAX parallel port scanners are supported by SANE (???).
> Of course, I should probably believe the official pages, and not the
> messages individuals send, but since I have an Astra 610P and I need
> to use it with linux, I choose to be optimistic.

Hi Roy-Anders,

I am the author of the (offical) umax backend and my backend does not
support parallel port scanners. I don't know about anyone who is writing
on a driver for the UMAX parallel port scanners.
The problem is that UMAX does not give out the parallel port scanner
protocol.

Just write to UMAX and ask for it, may be one day they will give it out
if enough people asked for it.

Bye
Oliver