random microtek commentary (Was: Re: Want to give wife scanner for anniversary - suggestions?)

Matto Marjanovic (maddog@mir.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:53:01 -0400 (EDT)

>From: Glenn <glenn@meaning.com>
>Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 18:42:58 -0500 (CDT)

> I haven't gotten around to configuring the E3, but I've
>been using the Microtek 35t+ slide scanner with xscanner (&GIMP).
>There are still bugs in the driver (like the exposure control
>doesn't work.) I'm planning on trying ViviData's scanshop for

If you notice any bugs which are not documented in the manpage or
webpage, please tell me about them! And, if you'd like to help
with exterminating the bugs, even better. I've never even seen
a 35t+ slide scanner, so it's hard to optimize code for it (esp.
given the, uh, 'sporadic' quality of the Microtek documentation).

The URL is http://www.mir.com/mtek/ava-hints.html (and the ??? is me :).

>/etc/sane/microtek.conf, adding "scsi Microtek" and the 35t+
>showed up the next time I opened xscanimage. (For some reason,
>the E3 doesn't identify itself as a microtek scanner when it's
>probed, just "scanner".)

The recommended microtek.conf entry is "scsi * * Scanner" ---
Microtek's firmware is pretty inconsistent and unreliable as far
as standard ID strings go; the backend is capable of carefully
looking at every scsi scanner device to figure out if it's a
supported scanner or not.

-matt m.