Re: Scanmaker 630 and Adaptec 2940UW

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 00:37:39 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 01:36:00PM +0200, Giovanni Iachello wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I've tried to use sane 0.73 to scan with a scanmaker 630 connected to
> an adaptec 2940UW, with a 16->8 bit SCSI cable. This adapter is
> "unofficially supported" by Microtek, but scanning does not work
> properly. The scanner is identified by the kernel and by the sane
> driver, the light turns on, and starts moving, but then the scanning
> blocks and scanimage hangs. It seems like some buffer overrun, but I
> did not enable the large kernel buffers.
>
> Did somebody manage to make the ScanMaker 630 work with and adaptec
> 2940? (I would prefer to sell the 1505 they gave me with the scanner)

Sorry for the late response, but I couldn't read my mail during the last
week.

Personally I have no experience with an 2940UW, and I never read anything
about the combination ScanMaker 630 + Adaptec 2940UW. But very occasionally
there were some postings in newsgroups, that suggested some changes
to the settings of the adapter bios for the 2940 (not the UW, IIRC) for
use with scanners, but I can't guarantee, that these informations are
correct or that they apply to the ScanMaker 630:

- limit the maximum transfer speed to 5 MB/s.

- toggle the settings for sync/async transfers

If this doesn't help you might want to obtain a new version of the backend,
for example the one which is included in sane 0.74. If the problem still
exists with a new version, it would be best to send me some more
debugging information with the environment variables SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK2
and SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI set to 128 during a scan.

Also it would be interesting to know, whether the the problems occur in
all modes (color, grayscale, ...) or if the behaviour is different for
high and low resolutions and if the same thing happens if the scanner is
attached to the 1505.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder