Re: Problems with sane & AVA15xx

Goran Thyni (goran@bildbasen.se)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 18:05:22 +0200

lduperval@sprint.ca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble using my AVA1502 with my Umax1220S scanner.
> Here is a breakdown of what I've found.
> [...]

I see this is coming up from time to time.
By experience I learned that cheap cards like 1502 (and even 1542)
are not a good choice in modern environment.
I struggled with sane and a 1542 (connected to Microtek E6 and 4GB
Micropolis drive
in an Digital/AMD K6-233 PC).
I saw many scanner lockups and strange behaviour until a had enough,
I ripped out the 1542 and replaced it with a 2940 and behold it now runs
like a dream.
Anyone doing professional work (like us) or otherwise are serious
scanner users
*should* get a good SCSI-card instead of old ISA-crap-cards.

Just my SEK 0.02