Re: Problems with Microtek ScanMaker 630

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:03:44 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 15, 1998 at 06:48:17AM +0000, Christian Asam wrote:

[...]

> > > Does anyone here use the Microtek TMA?
> > > Is yes: Is the "interface" to the scanner simple (switch type) or
> > > complex (electronics)?
> >
> > I do not completely understand what you mean with this question, but at
> > least I can tell that a backend must support a TMA, and this is currently
> > not the case with the microtek(2) backend.
> Not neccesarely. The Windows (3.1)-program does not allow the user to
> choose the media type without a TMA being installed. It seems, as if the
> small D-SUB connector on the rear of the scanner is the interface to the
> TMA and the ASF, and enables it. I was not able to find reasonable
> information about it, but am assuming some type of an identification
> function.

If supported the driver can inquire the scanner attributes separately for
the fletbed, the TMA and the ADF. It is also possible to check, whether
a TMA is actually connected to the scanner, and to activate/deactivate
the corresponding options in the frontend according to the result
of this check.

In any case the backend must specify the scan source (fletbed, TMA, ...)
when a scan is started.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder