Re: Problems with Apple Scanner II

Milon Firikis (milonf@mbox.ariadne-t.gr)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:10:46 +0300

Michael Fischer wrote:

> Hello Sir's,
> i am trying to use our old Apple SCSI Greyscale Scanner Typ:
>
> APPLE SCANNER II 2.02
> Model Number: M1381
>
> with sane and Linux Kernel 2.0.33. The compilation works fine but i can't
> get an image from the scanner.
>
> find-scanner returns the scanner with this devices:
>
> <computer:~> find-scanner
> # You may want to run this program as super-user to find all devices.
> # Once you found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access
> # permissions as necessary.
>
> find-scanner: found scanner "APPLE SCANNER II 2.02" at device /dev/scanner
> find-scanner: found scanner "APPLE SCANNER II 2.02" at device /dev/sg3
> find-scanner: found scanner "APPLE SCANNER II 2.02" at device /dev/sgd
>
> but if i try to scan something the following happend:
>
> <computer:~> scanimage --filename myscan.ppm
> 0: 700005000000000e 0000000000000000 p....... ........
> 16: 060002022c ....,
> 0: 700005000000000e 0000000000000000 p....... ........
> 16: 060002022c ....,
> scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
>
> if try to select the apple device the following happend:
>
> <computer:~> scanimage --filename myscan.ppm -d apple:/dev/scanner
> Segmentation fault
>
> I tryed the same tests on an sane system that work fine with an HP Scanner
> with the same result, so i assume the problem is the apple part of sane
> or my scanner.
>
> Is there a change to get this scanner work? What can i do?
>
> greetings
> Michael Fischer
>
> is there a change to get this old scanner to work with

Hello...

I am the author of the apple backend.

Unfortunately I cannot help for two reasons

-I don't have spare time. Maybe after july 8.

-I don't have the device. The orginal backend was written for sane 0.69
and for
the AppleScanner (4bit 16shades of gray). Yes the two scanner are
similar. Yes the same backend should be used for both. Yes there will be
support when I find time and somebody to help with the debugging.

For the mean time could you possibly turn on debugging on so we can get
a clue about the crash. Try set the env variable SANE_DEBUG_APPLE to 255
or something like this. Check the mustek man page and change the MUSTEK
to APPLE.

Milon Firikis