Re: Problems with Microtek ScanMaker 630

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:17:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Christian Asam wrote:

> Bernd Schroeder wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 08:48:30PM +0000, Christian Asam wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > the problems are:
> > > - total system crashes (the console, X and the network are dead, the
> > > only way to get the system up again is to reset it...)
> >
> > Hhm, I have never experienced that the whole system gets locked. Does
> > this happen always or only under certain circumstances ?
> Mostly when scanning, but not always...
> Yesterday I started scanning 300x300 24Megs and it locked up after a
> second. When I tried to scan 16M, it locked up after 10 or so.
> But later I was able to scan 80M without problems...
>
> Once I had such a lockup under Netscape, without scanning, but that was
> incomplete at first: I could login with the ssh and kill & restart X,
> but couldn't shut it down sensibly without it locking up the system.
> I usually am used to that with Windows, but not with Linux.
> That system ran stable before.

Did you try a bunch of test without X11 running to see iff you could scan
from the command line without problems?

My idea is that you exhaust X11 to a level where it can't recover and
breaks down the lot.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |