Re: os/2 and Parallel scanners

Mr Ada (mrada@catalina-inter.net)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 03:01:21 -0700

Fredrick P. Eisele Sr. wrote:

> Are you sure they have given out this info?

Let me explain a little more here. They did give out information abouta
different scanner within their line. The software was, of course,
not the one to use for my scanner.

> Is this true are the manufacturers just getting tired
> of giving out the same info without results?

I can't attest to this. I haven't received anything that I could use.

> If this is true we should be pooling our
> resources, i.e. some people who are good at
> sweet talking manufactures and those of us who
> would rather just hack?

That may be a good idea.

> I am currently trying to get some specs for a rather
> obscure scanner and having a heck of a time getting it.

Probably as obscure as mine. I have a Plustek Scan Plus Color 6000.

> One of the reasons I have not been pursuing this to
> strongly is that I have looked at the Linux2.1.x drivers
> and see a lot of neat stuff to make the writing of
> specific kernel drivers unnecessary (provided the
> manufacturer follows one of the IEEE specs).

I doubt that my manufactorer did.

> In any case I am hoping to write a user space meta
> driver for the scanner I have.

Is it for a parallel scanner? Is it reusable to other types?

Thanks,

Chris Sparks