Re: os/2 and Parallel scanners

Fredrick P. Eisele Sr. (feisele@ameritech.net)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 02:58:14 -0400

becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:

> You will have to run the scanner with the software that came with it and
> apply a parallel port sniffer.

Is such a sniffer available?
I was just getting ready to build a cable support such a
sniffer,
and thought I would have to write one myself.
What I was planning was something very simple (and general).
Plug the scanner into one parallel port, the computer
running
the manufacturer supplied driver/application, and the
sniffing
computer reading from one lp-port (using the std lp driver),
writing to the second lp-port and to std output.
I was going to try a scripting language like perl.
(Actually, I am planning to use a parallel "laplink" cable
to start with, of course in the general case a special cable
would be necessary.)

> If you are lucky, the driver might run under WINE which support port sniffing.

Is this done now?
Last I heard (a couple weeks ago) this had not been
uploaded/integrated.