Re: Problems with microtek-backend

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Fri, 22 May 1998 13:06:49 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 12:47:50PM -0400, Matto Marjanovic wrote:

> From: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE
> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:24:03 +0200 (MET DST)
>
> Hello Matthew,
>
> I am the programmer of the umax-backend.
> Since sane-0.73 my system hangs when I let the
> microtek (1) backend enabled.
>
> My first guess is that the problem is that the microtek backend calls
> INQUIRY asking for all 96 bytes at once; I noticed that other backends
> do this in two parts --- asking for the std. bytes first, and then
> getting the device specific ones in a second call. Maybe this is
> hanging the bus, and that hangs your system? (Something to fix, either
> way.)

I think this your response to an email you have received from Oliver.
He sent me an email later in which he told me that he was not
definitely sure which backend causes the problem. But I don't think
that calling INQUIRY with a result size of 96 bytes lets the system hang.
As far as I have seen most backends call INQUIRY only once with a reply
length of more than 5 bytes.

As I wrote in an earlier mail there is/was a bug in the initialization
function of the microtek2 backend, so I suspect that this backend causes the
problem. I have (hopefully) fixed the bug and have asked Oliver to check
whether the fix works, but I don't know, if he has the time to do so.

Therefore I would like to ask if someone, who has experienced the same
problem, is willing to test this bugfix and tell me the results. This
would help to ensure that this bug will definitely be eliminated in
later releases of sane.

A version of this backend (which is not the latest one, but includes the
fix) is available on http://www.muc.de/~bernds/mtek2.tar.gz .

Of course, I had not expected that this first version of the backend is
completely free of bugs, but a bug that causes the whole system to hang,
is very bad and should be eliminated as quickly as possible.

> I plan to attack my backlog of scanner-mail over the coming long weekend
> (as it is in the US)....

Yes, I have a four day weekend, too.

Bernd

--