Re: Win32 TWAIN DLL to interface with SANE

Graham Stoney (greyham@research.canon.com.au)
Fri, 15 May 1998 10:05:12 +1000 (EST)

Yuri Dario writes:
> On Wed, 13 May 1998 12:13:01 +1000 (EST), Graham Stoney wrote:
>
> >TWAIN users would be able to access scanners remotely via Sane,
> >and would ask themselves "why can't I access a scanner remotely with TWAIN?".
>
> now it is possible: my brother has a UMAX610S, and the Umax twain driver can be used in a network; the
> driver uses NETBIOS/IPX as transport protocol. But until now he hasn't tested a network configuration (but
> he should do it soon).

When I did some research into TWAIN network scanner access a couple of months
ago, the UMAX was the only one I could find, and I gather it uses some sort
of proprietary protocol specific to the UMAX; whereas under SANE any scanner
is network accessible. It would be really cool if the SANE protocol became
some sort of defacto (or even official) standard for remote scanner access
even under TWAIN, since the TWAIN standard doesn't specify such a protocol.

Regards,
Graham

--
Graham Stoney, Senior Hardware/Software Engineer
Canon Information Systems Research Australia