Re: Off topic - junk mail

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 14:45:09 +0100 (MET)

Julian Coleman wrote:

> Some lowlife spammed the list with junk that included :
> > To be removed from this mailing list, simply hit reply and type
> > REMOVE in the subject line. Thank you, Xceed Communications.
>
> I gather that this is a good way to determine which of a list of email
> addresses is valid. Anyone that replies must have a valid address and is,
> thus, a target for more junk mail. I would advise _not_ replying to any
> junk mail.

As I currently ONLY use "R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl" as my Email address,
but seem to have made it into a few spam-databases using 10 different
old Email addresses. I once held a session where I forged mail from
my old addresses to attempt to stop the spamming. No effect.

I think they are honest when they say "hit reply and remove" not to
get any more Email from us. As well as when they say "this is a one
time only Email, you'll never get Email from us again".

The problem is that I recieve tens of those every day....

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |