Re[2]: Dark scans with HP ScanJet 3c

Eric Ludlam (eludlam@mathworks.com)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 07:55:00 -0500 (EST)

>> Joerg> Hi Everyone,
[ ... ]
>> Joerg> Are there any suggestions for proper values of contrast and
>> Joerg> brightness? Or is it possible to calibrate sane?
>>
>> The HP backend is still very minimal. It was derived from hpscanpbm
>> and was adapted to SANE "in the blind" (without access to an HP
>> scanner). Features such as gamma correction are not supported yet.
>> Getting the docs from HP isn't hard, but what's lacking right now is a
>> person to take the HP backend under his or her wing...
>
>Joerg,
>
>If you're not going to take the hint from David, you can adjust the
>gamma using a program like "xv". Load the picture in XV, and press "e"
>to edit the colors. In the middle-bottom control you can adjust the
>gamma. Works like a charm.

I have the HP 5p, and was interested in contributing some to this
driver, but could not decipher who to talk to to get the above
mentioned documentation. The HP web page is not useful in this
regard, the sanner/imaging phone number was completely useless to me
as it only offered more standardized documentation like the
use-manual, and the sanner/imaging department has no email service
address.

I was at a loss. If anyone has a suggestion beyond "contacting HP" I
am curious to hear of it as I am a neophyte when involved in the
pestering of large companies.

Eric

--
[====]___||.   Eric Ludlam          "The X Guy"    The MathWorks   x 7556
  |[]|     |=  eludlam@mathworks.com  (work)      http://www.mathworks.com
 _|__|=====+   zappo@ultranet.com     (home)   http://www.ultranet.com/~zappo
   O-O-O[ ]\\  	          `To err is human, to moo bovine'