Re: "strange" things with SANE on IRIX 5.3

Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:20:26 -0400

becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> This looks like the scsi-code for Irix expects SCSI-buffers to be aligned,
> i.e. the address must be dividable by a certain quantity.

IRIX requires buffers aligned to a 32-bit boundary.

> Someone who knows the Irix SCSI code should check this and provide properly
> aligned buffers.

That'd be me - the problem is that the buffers (if malloc'd) *should* be
aligned to a 32-bit boundary with IRIX 3.x through 6.x. There is a
problem
with malloc() prior to IRIX 6.2 with pointers not being 64-bit aligned,
but that shouldn't cause a problem here.

> To make them aligned at 256-byte boundaries. The actual value depends on what
> causes the alignment problem. Might be a Bus-limit => use bus width, might
> be a page-limit => page-size, might be something with the DMA controller.

Nope, I think the sense buffer is not aligned properly for some reason
on his system (the sense buffer is an automatic array of chars on the
stack and may not be properly aligned). A patch will follow later this
week...