Re: Problems with XSane using Umax Astra 1220P

From: stef (stef-listes@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 13:18:18 PDT

    On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:32:42PM -0400, Andrew Fiedler wrote:
    > > Seems to be an install problem. Get sure you ran 'make install' in the
    > > sane source directory, and that you have a line in /etc/ld.so.conf which points
    > > to the directory where the SANE libs are installed.
    > > Also search for another version of sane that may have been installed
    > > before, with another path (such as /usr instead of /usr/local by default).
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Stef
    > Yes, that was the problem. I had one version from Mandrake and one from
    > the source code. One more question, how do I let users use xsane. I know I
    > could set xsane to run as root but I don't know how or if that would be
    > safe. Is there some better way?
    > Thanks

            You have two option

            1 - if you have only trusted users, you may do 'chmod a+s xsane'
    logged as root. So that anyone running it will have root priviledges. So
    will be able to save their picture as say /etc/services ... The backend
    tries to return to effective uid/gid as soon it can, but there is still a risk.

             2 - use saned. The backend will but run by saned with root priviledges,
    but not your frontend.

    Regards,
            Stef