Unable to configure Snapscan 1212u with SANE

From: Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 19:49:15 PDT

    As indicated in the title, I'm trying to use a Snapscan 1212u with SANE.
    Near as I can tell, I don't need the firmware upload utility, but have
    tried it just in case. I came to this conclusion by running the
    agfafirm script in verbose mode. I noticed that the scanner reports a
    firmware before attempting to load the firmware. The output lists the
    following from the scanner:

    Vendor: AGFA
    Version: 1.10
    Model: SNAPSCAN 1212U
    Firmware date: THU AUG 06 1998 10:35

    Now, as I'm reading this information from the scanner (at least I'm
    pretty sure I am), I'm fairly certain that I've got the right USB driver
    loaded and am working with the right device. I'm using the scanner.o
    from the 2.4.6 kernel sources and using /dev/usb/scanner0.

    I've tried loading the firmware just incase, but I'm fairly certain that
    this is failing. The verbose output for the file firmware lists:

    Chip: 7107U
    Vendor: AGFA
    Version: 1.32
    Model: SNAPSCAN 1212U_2
    Firmware date: MON Jul 12 1999 19:00
    Size: 30906

    The script indicates that the load finished:

    Uploading new firmware...
    Done!

    But, then appears to be unable to retrieve the firmware information from
    the scanner:

    Vendor:
    Version:
    Model:
    Firmware date:

    Also, at this point there is an error in my system log:

    scanner.c: read_scanner(0): Failure to clear endpoint halt condition
    (0).

    Sorry if this is a frequently asked or answered problem, but I can't
    seem to get the scanner to work. I've compiled the sane backend v1.0.5
    with the snapscan-20010411 patches.

    I've tried running "scanimage -L" which blocks for quite some time,
    during which I get the following messages in my system log over and
    over:

    usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
    scanner.c: write_scanner: NAK received.

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Jamin W. Collins

    BTW, the scanner does work with the manufacturer provided software under
    Windows.