Re: Canoscan FB630U

From: Simon Heywood (simon.heywood@physics.org)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 13:58:56 PDT

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Timo Mohnani wrote:
    > ...i came across somebody who is trying to come up
    > with something. I seems this person has even pulled
    > apart his scanner to find out what chips are inside.
    > Anyway I was just wondering how far this person has
    > got and whether a canon backend for parallel port or
    > USB is being developed.

    Yeah, that would be me then. Nathan Robertson and I have been trying to
    decipher the documentation for the relevent chipsets for a few weeks now
    (admittedly I've had other things on my mind recently, but I hope to get
    something useful done before September).

    I left some more details in http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~phucq/scanner/ if
    you want to have a look, or you could help us develop a driver. ;-)

    We are currently investigating the hp4200 driver as some kind of starting
    point, since that has the same National Semiconductor chip but a different
    EPP-to-USB bridge. Perhaps someone knowledgeble about that driver could
    point us in the right direction. :-)

    Regards,

    --
      Simon Heywood <simon.heywood@physics.org>