Re: Scanner hangs

From: John culleton (john@wexfordpress.net)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 12:06:58 PDT

    On Saturday 14 July 2001 13:06, you wrote:
    > Which scanner are you using and how is it connected (SCSI/parallel/USB)?
    >
    > Karl Heinz
    >
    > On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 09:50:03AM -0400, John culleton wrote:
    > > I recently upgraded to Slackware 8.0 My old version of scanmimage woldn't
    > > work. Kept getting segmentation Errors. So I loaded version 1.0.5,
    > > compiled, installed, visited /usr/local/sane.d etc. and so on.
    > >
    > > Now when I put in a command
    > > scanimage -depson:/dev/usb/scanner0
    > >
    > > the light comes on (I am making contact at least) but the scanner does
    > > not move. If I switch the scanner off I get an i-o error message. Ctrl-C
    > > does not interrupt the program.
    > >
    > > Scanner works under Win98 but the software over there is pretty
    > > restrictive. Any thoughts?

    Nothing in the hardware has changed. I have an Epson 1240U connected via my
    usb port. Under Slackware 7.1 it used to work.

    The kernel has usb software built in. And as I noted above I can make contact
    with the scanner. I just can't get it to scan.

    Here is a snippet from dmesg:

    usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x6300, IRQ 11
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 2 ports detected
    uhci.c: Linus Torvalds, Johannes Erdfelt, Randy Dunlap, Georg Acher, Deti
    Fliegl, Thomas Sailer, Roman Weissgaerber
    uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
    usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
    scanner.c: USB Scanner support registered.ub.c: USB new device connect on
    bus1/1, assigned device number 2
    hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
    usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x46d/0xc501) is not claimed by any active
    driver. (Note this device is a cordless mouse that I don't use at present.)

    This is from the same kernel that I used before.

    /dev/usb contains the following:
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 180, 48 Mar 25 16:04 scanner0
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 180, 49 Mar 25 16:04 scanner1
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 180, 58 Mar 25 16:04 scanner10
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 180, 59 Mar 25 16:04 scanner11
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 180, 60 Mar 25 16:04 scanner12